Landscape and Climate
312679 km squared
The north and west regions of Poland is mostly maritime , while the eastern and southern part of Poland has climate with heavy winters and hotter, drier summers.
Poland’s agricultural lands grow cereal grain, which is one of the most important dietary staples. The cereal grains include wheat,rye, buckwheat, and barley. Cereal grains are also used in bread, noodles, and other cereal foods. The landscape and climate of Poland impacts the staple food of cereal grains. In the last years an increasing frequency of extreme events has been observed in Poland, such as droughts, floods, storms and heavy showers, which resulted in reduced agricultural production and water shortage.
History, languages, religions
Many Languages are spoken around europe, Poland also has many languages. Polish is spoken by 97% of the population of 40 million people in poland. Other languages spoken by the other 3% of poland are German, Ukrainian, Russian, Lithuanian, Armenian, and Romani languages. Also, recent immigrant languages of Vietnamese and Arabic are now spoken. Poland also has their own sign language.
Many religions are practiced in Poland. Around 87%are any form of catholic,1.3% are orthodox, 0.4% are protestant, other 0.4% (Jehovah’s Witness, Buddhist, Hare Krishna, Gaudiya Vaishnavism, Muslim, Jewish, Mormon), unspecified 10.8%. Poland is accepting of many religions.
Description of food
Due to different religions there are restriction to what one can consume. Roman Catholics have avoided eating meat on Good Friday. Also roman catholics, have avoided from meat on Fridays as an additional fast. Catholics don’t eat meat on Fridays during Lent, which is also a time of fasting. Protestant Christians do not follow any specific, strict dietary guidelines. People who follow the religion of Buddha are allowed the consumption of meat in small quantities of a very limited set of animals as long as the meat was not killed purely for the purpose of eating and if the meat was granted as a gift. Mormonism prohibits alcohol and caffeine. Members of the Krishna Consciousness movement follow a vegetarian diet. The religion of Krishna eat after the food is blessed. Krishna Consciousness members eat vegetarian meals that feature fresh foods such as fruits and vegetables. They are strict vegetarian.Gaudiya Vaishnavas follow a Lacto vegetarian diet. Onions and garlic are also avoided. Followers also avoid the intake of caffeine.The animals that they are allowed to eat must be killed and prepared according to Jewish law. Products need to be indicated with a label that the re kosher. Kosher certification guarantees that the food meets the religions dietary requirements.
During the holidays some foods are eaten more than others. Eggs are a major food served during easter and during christmas there are at least three different soups, bread, and meatless pierogies filled with assortments of food.
Poland’s food guide
Poland’s food guide is not called Poland’s food guide, it is called the Pyramid of healthy nutrition. Its divided into six levels that represent the six different food groups on the pyramid. Cereals at the base of the pyramid, vegetables above that, fruits next , fourth are milk and dairy products, meat, fish, eggs and beans, Oil is at the top of the pyramid. A beverage group and images of physical activity are placed outside of the pyramid.Poland has also developed a pyramid for children and adolescents. It is almost identical to the food guide for the regular population. The only difference is that the childrens pyramid is to avoid table salt.
The difference between Poland’s food guide is very vivid. Let’s first talk about about the food groups presented. In Canada’s food guide we have milk and alternatives, meat and alternatives, grain products vegetables and fruit. Poland has different categories. They have six different food groups. Cereals, vegetables, fruits, milk and dairy products, meat fish, eggs, beans, and oils at the top of the pyramid.unlike poland’s food guide canada has the amount recommended for one to consume, Poland does not have that. Poland has a separate food guide for children. There are not many similarities between the two food guides. There are no recommendations on Poland’s food guide for how much you should take. In the children’s food guide all they say is to avoid table salt.
Messages of the pyramid
Eat a variety of foods
Beware of the weight gain and maintain a healthy amount of physical activity
To get calories is mainly in cereals
You should drink 2 glasses of milk a day even as a substitute for other milk products
Eat meat in moderation
Eat many fruits and vegetables daily
Limit the intake of foods with visible fat or high cholesterol
Limit and moderate the intake of sugar and sweets
Other interesting facts